Found the computer lab!!!
Dr. Mathisen just called from the surgical suite. They will NOT be able to do any surgery to help this tumor. Al and I debated last night whether we heard him say they'd take what they could of the tumor even if they can't resect, but the fact is they can't resect, and 'de-bulking' the tumor (reducing the size of the tumor) doesn't help in these types of cases.
The tumor involves approximately 5.2 cm of the trachea, and Al's trachea is only about 11 cm long, so that's far more than what they're comfortable resecting with any success. His airway is 40-50% blocked from the tumor in one way or another, however, so we'll have to be mindful of that fact.
Al will be out of recovery in an hour or so, and moved into a regular room (not ICU) after recovery. Dr. Mathisen will be in to see us in the next couple of hours, and I'll have more information then. His plan is to hook us up with oncology and radiotherapy to determine a course of treatment which can be performed back home. Contrary to our earlier understanding, this type of tumor MAY be overcome by radiation and chemotherapy. The way he explained it to us yesterday is that everybody will respond to chemo and radiation to SOME degree for SOME period of time, with varying degrees of success.
Not to worry, I recognize this is probably a long shot for success. Al knows that too. But the silver lining is that it MAY work --that's all. I'll have more information later in the day, and will send out an update as soon as possible.
If you have any specific questions or suggestions for questions I should ask, please reply right away. I'm going to go find a quiet cupboard to have a long cry, wash my face, and go see Al.
'Talk' to you soon.
xoxoxo
Sharon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment