Well, here we go!!! We've been whining around here because nobody's been calling. Dr. Berquist was frustrated because he hadn't heard back from Dr. Mathisen, and was even calling other cancer centers to see what our options were.
Then, lo and behold, Dr. Mathisen's office wants me to call them. He's available to do Al's surgery on Thursday, May 12. They want us in Boston at least 24 hours in advance, so we can meet with him, and he can order any tests or x-rays he feels are needed before the surgery. The surgery will take about 5 hours, he'll be in ICU probably overnight, and spend 8-10 days in the hospital total.
Diane in Dr. Mathisen's office made me feel instantly at home, and tells me we'll love him. "Don't be afraid, though, because he's a BIG, burly guy". She says he's meticulous about details and pretty much gets what he wants at Mass General -- like his own floor for patients, the Ellison Building, 19th floor. I'm working on a list of questions to ask when we talk tomorrow; I was a little freaked out when we talked this afternoon. Starting with "Will I have access to a computer while there?"
The hospital runs a 'hotel' for families of patients, which I hope I'll be able to stay in. It's about 15 minutes from the hospital, but they run a shuttle several times a day between there and the hospital; they're only staffed from 9 am to 3:30 pm eastern time, so I didn't get to talk about reservations or rates. I was a little shell shocked about the other lodging option Dr. Mathisen's office gave me -- they START at $189/night!!! I'm thinking pitching a tent sounds like a GOOD option, and a motor home sounds like heaven!!! =)
I have the Corporate Angel Network working on a flight for us, but it doesn't look promising; they usually need at least 2 weeks' notice. But I'll hear from them tomorrow. Fortunately, Wichita has gotten more competitive about their flight rates, and my friend at the travel agency came up with more reasonable flights than I had expected.
We've never gone away for more than 6-7 days at once, but I'm thankful we have great neighbors, wonderful friends, and a local niece who owes us a favor or two to look after things here at home. The dust can keep til we get back!!!
So I'm off to figure out necessities to pack, how to keep myself busy on the cheap while we're in Boston, whether to take my camera (and lug it EVERYWHERE while I'm there), and a million other things I haven't thought of yet.
For each of you from Lowe's, thanks very much -- for your sentiments and your gifts; they will help keep us going in the next couple of weeks. Guess I'd better take my camera after all, after reading your notes!!!
Tami, I'm going to go ahead and send you Tess's CJ on Monday. I'll keep Stormy's here, as it's not due to mail til June 15.
Thanks to each of you for the good vibes, prayers and support. Keep those positive thoughts going as we set upon this journey.
xoxoxo
Sharon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment