Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Update on Al #16

Well, here I was all excited to send you some GOOD news for a change, and everything changes.

Al had his follow-up with both Dr. Perez-Tamayo and Dr. Beck's PA this morning. All was well, and we got to see digital images of Al's tumor. It's larger than I had thought -- I would say about the size of my fist or a little smaller, and is lower in the neck than I had envisioned, though attached to his trachea very high, just below his larnyx. Yes, medical family members, I got a copy of his lab reports; you'll have to wait til I can scan them and send them to you. Fortunately, all the numbers look real good. His weight is holding, and everything seemed very good, we were on track for chemo tomorrow, and he had his radiation treatment this morning. Their only concern was to ensure he's getting plenty of liquids on board.

We went to lunch, Al brought me back to work, and went home to rest because he didn't sleep much last night (mostly thanks to Max & Mikey playing tag all around and OVER him!). He had put on his gym shorts with a tank top he wears to treatment, and laid down on the couch. His legs got cold, so he pulled one of the throws over himself. He said the cold just worked its way up his body, and the next thing he knew he was shivering. So he covered up better and curled up, expecting it to pass.

It didn't, so he took his temp, and got 101.5*, and -- fortunately -- called me. I called the doc's, went home to get him, saw the docs, they took a culture, and sent him across the street for admission to the hospital. Evidently the incision from his PEGG tube is infected. They have him iced down (literally) in bed right now, and he's covered with a cooling blanket; they're starting an IV of antibiotics. He'll be here for a day or two til it gets cleared up, and Dr. Beck mentioned that his PEGG may have to be removed. They want to ensure the infection doesn't spread to his infuse-a-port, and I would think having that IV pushing antibiotics through it would help prevent that. Oh, yeah, his temp was 105.3* when we got to his room at the hospital.

The nurse tells me that his PEGG tube may need to be REPLACED; they wouldn't want to remove it with treatment still upcoming.

Both PAs and Dr. Beck assured me that although he won't be having chemo or radiation until the infection clears up (as much as a week), it won't affect his long-term treatment; "this is just a bump in the road". So if you tried to reach us today, now you know why you couldn't.

When I told him I was going to the family lounge to send out an update, Al said to be sure to tell everybody hello for him. He also asked not to have any more herbalist advice or salespeople calling him, so even though he's shivering while he's trying to sleep, he still has his sense of humor.

He's in room 237, which would make the phone number in there 785-452-7237, but please wait until at least late morning tomorrow before calling. He needs to get some rest. I'll be here til he sends me packing, then probably head over to the office.

Carrie, sorry I'm going to miss chatting with you tonight. Can't wait to hear all about the house, and the decorating, and the garden, and your move.

Rick, thanks for handling my downspout situation.

Mikey, sorry we didn't get by to see you yesterday; Al was pooped and went home to rest mid-afternoon. And even though he might not have told you what YOU could do to help him out, I'll tell you -- give him a call once a week or so, just to touch base. We so appreciated being included on Saturday night; it was nice to catch up with everybody again. And I'm dying to see Ledger in person; I didn't realize how long it had been since I'd been to your place!!!

I'll sign off for now. Thanks for keeping us in your hearts.

xoxoxo
Sharon

No comments: