Sunday, May 08, 2005

Update on Al #6

Good evening, all!!!

Didn't realize I hadn't shared our details with all of you. Sorry about that. Hope you've all had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!

Al's last day at work was Friday until the docs release him. I'm working a regular day tomorrow, leading Shelley (my niece) through my to-do list around the house, then we're heading down to Cleo's (SIL) to spend the night. She's graciously agreed to take us to the airport EARLY Tuesday morning, and babysit our van while we're gone.

I was able to get a room at the hospital-operated motel, and will send out contact information after we check in. We'll see Dr. Mathisen early on Wednesday, so that he can order any additional tests or x-rays he needs, and he'll explain the procedure and details then. The surgery will take about 5 hours, then he'll come up to ICU for the night. Then he'll be transferred to 'Dr. Mathisen's floor' in the Ellison building, 19th floor of Massachusetts General. Again, I'll provide details as soon as I have them. He'll be in the hospital 8-10 days, then they want us to stay in town 1-2 days when he's released. They overnighted a packet of instructions, but we didn't get them yesterday, so they should show up tomorrow.

My good buddy Rich has loaned me a kick butt laptop to take along, and the hotel has high speed internet access, so my sanity is saved, as I'll be able to stay in touch as usual. And I'll be baking PLENTY of chocolate chip cookies when we return in a lame attempt to pay him back.

We had lots of company yesterday, and Al had a really good day --breakfast and a nice visit with his sister & BIL from Colorado, followed by lunch and a little running around with Mom & John. Al got some things done around the house he was worried about getting done before we leave.

Today was NOT such a great day for Al, so we stayed very close to home. He got his last project finished (though it took him all day!), and I got things organized in the garden, so I can spend two weeks in Boston without worrying. TOO much! Gonna have to get Shelley to take pics of things as they bloom while we're gone. Looks like we're going to miss this year's Chasing Rainbows Irises!!! Fortunately, I have that great photo from last year. =)

Thanks for keeping us BOTH close to your hearts. I'm looking at Boston as an adventure, and I'm happy we'll have an evening or two together there before surgery. Al insisted I bring the camera, and suggested I search for activities I can enjoy while we're there. (As if I'm gonna be very far from him!!!) So if you're bored, check out http://www.bostonusa.com/, and send me suggestions!!! =)

Gonna sign off and hit the hay.
xoxoxo
Sharon

No comments: