Sunday, June 12, 2005

Update on Al #20

Sorry to be so long in sending an update; in the future, consider "no news is good news". Mostly, I've just been too pooped to peck out a message.

Al was pleased that they picked up his radiation treatments WHILE he was in the hospital. Hospital protocol is that if an inpatient needs to go somewhere, he must be transferred by ambulance. You have to understand that the hospital is exactly across the street and two doors down from the cancer center!!! Nuts!!! They've held the Ethyol to try to determine if that's the problem, and had him on IV antibiotics as well as an oral antibiotic for the duration of his stay.

He left the hospital on Friday about 11:30, we went over for radiation -- which made him nauseous WITHOUT the Ethyol, a point Al had made to Dr. Beck -- and came home. I then proceeded to tear down and move the daybed -- again, with a little help from our favorite neighbor (thanks, Ed!) -- and clean the room nice and sparkly before the hospital bed arrived at 3:00 pm. We both had a little nap and headed back to the hospital for his outpatient IV antibiotics. He'll get those for a week, twice a day, and also has an oral antibiotic he takes twice a day. Another unsettling detail is that he's pretty much hoarse. Says his throat, etc. doesn't hurt, but he barely has a voice. I believe this is an argument for restarting the Ethyol, and that Dr. Beck is planning to resume it this week.

As Dr. Beck pointed out to Al, "this may just be how you feel during treatment", and that's disheartening, but Al's hanging in and more concerned with GETTING the treatment than the side effects. His nausea is more mucous than anything, so now he takes a 'spit cup' with him everywhere he goes. It's rather disgusting, but gets the job done!

We should be getting back on schedule this week, as he'll see both doctors tomorrow. I expect he'll have labs again on Tuesday with chemo on Wednesday. While he goes for antibiotics, I've been going to the office to catch up. Yesterday, we ran a few errands after his treatment, got home around 11:30, and I'm not sure what he did, but I went to bed -- until 4:30!!! So I should be caught up on sleep, but I'm thinking a nap this afternoon might happen since we're up 'early' to get to treatment again!!!

Al hasn't felt strong enough to drive himself anywhere -- and it's only right, since he's sorta nauseous on a regular basis. At least I always know where he is -- I'm usually taking him there!!! I'm going to arrange for the hospital shuttle to get him to the hospital in the mornings if possible, and we'll wing the rest of the details. Hopefully he's figuring out what we've all been telling him -- it'll be easier if he stays hydrated, and take the meds at the first sign of queasiness. The PAs in Dr. Beck's office confirmed what I'd been whining to him about -- that it's easier to prevent the nausea than get rid of it -- so he's taking on Zofran earlier now. Just hope he keeps remembering!!!

Cleo, thanks for the visit and the treats. I picked up more movies last night, as he was feeling REALLY well, and even ate well for supper. We've started rating how he's feeling on a scale of 1-5, one being worst and five being normal, and he gave me a 4 last night, after being a miserable 2 in the morning.

Mom & John, I'm so glad you were able to come up for the dance. John, you can now brag to your buddies that you've slept on a waterbed!!! Thanks so much for the meals and the support while you were here. I just wish Al had felt better during your visit. I did manage to get the kitchen cleaned up some last night -- finally!!! Now I just need to dig through the stuff on the table, and vacuum. And laundry. And weed!!! And sleep some more.

Marcia, thanks for the note. Sorry I haven't responded directly, but my energy level hit rock bottom towards the end of the week, and I'm just trying to get caught back up to start all over again tomorrow!!! I know Alf Alf Alf will really enjoy the movie rentals, as I will, too.

Tom & Vicki, thanks for stopping by. Sorry we had to whisk you out the door to go to the hospital, but it was such fun (for ME at least!) to get caught up. Al's comment in the car was "aren't you glad you don't work THERE any more?!?!?".

Stacie, keep those Lowe's updates coming. Reading the print-out of your message was the highlight of Al's day!!! And please keep the guys up to speed on what's going on here. Somehow, I'm thinking we're going to be making a trip to Lowe's today, just so Al can touch base.

Connie, it's REALLY good to hear from you. I was afraid we'd lost track of you guys for good!!! Hope all is well with you and yours -- how about an e-mail update about YOU?!?!?!?

Alicia, I'm still waiting for an update on Curt. You've been in my heart since his injury.

I'm off to hit the shower and take Al to the hospital. I'll go over and work while he gets treatment, since it takes 1.5-2 hours each time.

Thanks so much for hanging in there with us. Keep us in your hearts.
xoxoxo
Sharon

No comments: