Greetings again, from the family waiting room of Salina Regional Health Center!!! Al had his 'regular' radiation treatment yesterday, after which he became nauseous. They gave him a dose of Zofran (anti-nausea med) and we went to lunch. He took me back to work, and by the time I got home around 5 pm, he had a 101* temp and had been nauseous most of the afternoon. Since 101* is our 'magic number' I called Dr. Beck, and we reviewed his symptoms, etc. He said to call if it got to 102*, try to keep him hydrated, and cool him off.
Fortunately it never went over 101*, but was up and down all evening, and he just couldn't keep anything down (even the Phenergan, Rx anti-nausea med). Needless to say it was a rough night, and neither one of us got much sleep.
He was less nauseous this morning, but feeling weak, so I got Ed, our favorite next-door neighbor, to take him by for lab, then on to the Cancer Center. I popped over there around 10:45 am for a break to check in on Al, and found him in an exam room instead of the chemo center. His labs were unsatisfactory -- of most concern, his creatinin (sp?) level was 2 this week, where it was 1 last week -- and he had what they call 'red man syndrome', where his skin was just flushed-looking all over. So they decided to pass on the Ethyol and just give him IV, then radiation.
When I didn't hear back by 2 pm to take him home after treatment, I went back over. His blood pressure had been 80 something over 60 something (unknown to me), and they elected to hold the radiation, cancel this week's chemo, and give him another bag of saline before sending him to be admitted to the hospital. Here at the hospital, he's supposed to be getting IV and oral antibiotics, but we've been here 2 hours, and Al's still just hanging out in his chair! He IS, however, in a familiar space, as they put him in the same room he had last week, so if you wanted to call him or visit, he's in room 237, phone 785-452-7237.
They plan to re-hydrate him really well and flush out one of the antibiotics he got last week (Zocyn), clear up these skin reactions, and get back on track. Frankly, he's got them a bit frustrated; it seems his symptoms don't make a lot of sense with the treatment combination he's been receiving. They're talking about a prescription for Zofran, as he doesn't seem to be able to keep the Phenergan down. Al mentioned this afternoon he thinks part of his nausea may be related to the anti-nausea med they give in his IVs, as he always gets sick AFTER the IV.
In talking this afternoon, Al has suggested we move the stuff out of the spare bedroom and rent a hospital bed for the duration of his treatment. He needs to be able to elevate his head -- which is virtually impossible in our waterbed! -- and he's concerned about ruining the couch that's been his bed most of the past month or so. So I'll be looking into that tomorrow. Guys, I'll probably be calling on your help to move the daybed to the basement!!!
Ed, thanks so much for coming to our rescue this morning. We're so relieved your tests came out 'clean'.
Everybody at SPT, thank you for being so supportive, understanding and accomodating.
Mary, I have all your dishes clean and waiting on my counter to come back to you.
Vicki & Curt, thanks for the encouraging words -- and information -- this afternoon. His port is covered with a soft 4x4 and paper tape instead of that nasty plastic adhesive stuff. You shoulda seen the charge nurse's face when I asked for their wound care specialist!!! =)
Marcia, we need to catch up. I hope everything is OK with you; I worry when I don't hear from you, CHICKIE. =)
Shelley, if I forget to call, I'm thinking the babysitting thing Thursday night is not an option. Hope you make some arrangements; I'm assuming so you can go to Festival Jam.
Cleo, thanks for the follow-up call this morning. I know it does Al good to visit with you.
Alane, we thought we'd hear from you guys this weekend. We'd like to get Molly out to you ASAP, as that garage is pretty warm these days. Hope everything went OK.
Marilyn, Al forgot to thank you for the book the other day. It's not really his 'style', but we're sharing it with others who appreciate the comfort.
Alicia, I've been watching for an update on Curt. How did his surgery go? I've been thinking of you guys a lot the past few days.
Linda & Hugh, I'm sure this e-mail circle will join me in keeping you in our hearts through your latest challenge with Hugh's cancer. I'll expect to be hearing from you late in the week, OK?
Nate, I want to hear/see all about your trip this weekend!!!
OK, I'm out of energy, and my tired mind isn't very clear. I'm going in search of a sandwich and/or chocolate. That should help!!! Please continue to keep us in your hearts.
xoxoxo
Sharon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment