Sunday, June 21, 2009

WAY overdue for an update!

Good news, bad news kinda thing. Good news is that Al was dismissed from further visits by his oncologist when we saw him on early May. WOO-HOO!!! No signs of cancer!!! Hard to believe it's been four years, isn't it?

On the bad news side, he had a nasty cold/respiratory infection this winter which has brought to light some scar tissue on his vocal cords (after about half a dozen various appointments). He's been hoarse off and on to varying degrees since December.

So please keep us in your hearts come Thursday, as he'll be going in for laser surgery to remove the scar tissue. We believe (and hope) there are a couple of bands of scar tissue which are restricting the right side, and once that's alleviated, the cord should be able to move freely. This would allow his voice to return and his vocal cords to open fully again so he can, oh, I dunno, BREATHE.

He'll be admitted as an outpatient but the plan is to keep him for 23 hours. We're expected at the hospital at 6 am for a 7:30 surgery. If all goes 'textbook', he'll be home Friday morning and can return to work Saturday. If the area swells, they'll put in a temporary tracheotomy, he'll stay in the hospital an extra night, and he'll need to be off work a week or two. He's very cool and calm about this; I'm a little freaked out about the possibility of a trach, but we both have great confidence in his ENT (Dr. Cossette).

I'll post an update as soon as I have some details, probably later on Friday.

As for me, I'm doing just fine. My boob still feels sore -- like a bruise -- off an on, and it varies in size from week to week, but no further treatment is needed at this point. I blew off the cutlet idea, but have been reconsidering lately, so one of these days I'll get down to B&K for a consultation. I'll have a bilateral mammogram and final follow-up with my surgeon in early September, continue to take Femara daily, and see my family doctor quarterly until further notice. Otherwise, we're pretty much back to life as we know it!!!

No comments: