Thursday, November 16, 2006

Update on Al #44

Well, good news!!! Dr. Alsop did the EGD this morning, and found no big surprises. WHEW!!! We're both so relieved, we've been asleep since we got home!!!

He agreed with Dr. Beck that Al's esophagus has some stricture, and used a couple of tools to dilate the esophagus a bit. (Isn't that what they used to have to do for Uncle Lorran???) We're to call him on Monday and let him know if that helped him some, and if so, he feels that confirms the stricture as being the problem. Also, if need be, they can use ALL the tools to dilate his esophagus fully.

I didn't ask any smart questions, so I've started a list to ask on Monday when I call.

Al's resting pretty comfortably -- like he normall does following conscious sedation -- though he feels a little nauseous. Thanks for reminding me, Vicki, that they've been poking around on that 'gag me' zone.

He was surprised to find that his stomach wasn't empty, even though Al hadn't eaten anything for 12 hours, so he put him on a drug called Reglan to assist emptying his stomach. Said he saw no evidence whatsoever of acid refux or damage to the esophagus.

So we're good to go til the next update!!! Al's next CT scan is scheduled mid-January; I promise I'll send out a new update.

xoxoxo
Sharon

No comments: