Sunday, August 28, 2005

Update on Al #31

My horoscope for today was:

This is a day where you could greatly benefit from spending some time outdoors in quiet reflection, dear Leo. Even a half-hour's walk through a city garden will help you feel more rested and grounded. You have been working especially hard lately, and need some time to refill the well of your soul. Don't deny yourself some down time. Otherwise, you are at risk of burning out.

So, naturally, since Doug & Pam had decided not to visit this weekend, I heeded the stars, and spent the morning working in our yard. I filled up half a dumpster with weeds and prunings, and to look around, you'd never know I'd done a !@#%$*! thing!!! But it felt so good.

While I was plugging along in the dirt (and painting those weed trees with RoundUp), Al was in the garage troubleshooting some things on the car. (See photo of one VERY sweaty Al with the OTHER love of his life!) One of them had to do with the 'kick down', so OMG, now it really runs like a bat out of 7734, and the other was the cursed cruise control. It was kinda humorous, because I rode along with him for the first test drive (mainly the kick down thing), and then he'd pop out back to tell me he was going out again. A bit later he'd pop back out to me to tell me he was going again. I hadn't realized an HOUR had passed, and he'd been in the garage most of that time. He wound up talking to the cruise company several times on the phone, who finally told him to return it for exchange; well the store no longer carries them, so he'll be following up with the compnay for a direct exchange of some sort.

We actually discussed driving out to Russell for a visit, as he's feeling quite well, and hasn't seen his mom for a few weeks, and we hadn't seen Nathan (my nephew) since he came home from Germany last week, but vetoed it to get things done around here. And I want to work some this weekend to get a head start on being gone for end of month.

Anywho, we got cleaned up early afternoon and decided to head out to Red Lobster for our ritual anniversary supper of King Crab. At 2:30 in the afternoon, they seated us in the lobby to wait for seating. It wasn't that there were so many customers there at the time, the hostess explained, but that they didn't have the staff to handle the customers who'd come in! We left feeling lucky we'd had to wait, because while we were waiting to go IN, out walks this beautiful young woman closely tailed by my oldest nephew!!! BYW would be Nate's girlfriend, Desi, of course, whose sister lives here in Salina. So they sat down to chat, we had a nice little visit, and I gave them directions to Shelley's.

And yes, Stacy, Al was able to savor his King Crableg meal (thanks for asking!). We decided this was ONE thing we should definitely not change this year.

We came home, and I popped into Chat and Al entertained himself -- resting somewhere cool in the house. Sunroom ladies, I'm sorry I didn't make it back to Chat tonight!!! Al came up and wanted some smooth ice cream, so we bopped out to DQ. On the way over there, we drove past a dear friend we haven't seen in AGES, and decided we'd stop by her house before going home. Well, she'd seen us too, and turned around to DQ to touch base!!! So we went by Lynn's house, and talked about everything under the sun, caught up a little, and lifted our spirits even more -- until 11:00 this evening.

People, I can't even remember when I was out of BED at 11:00 in the evening, let alone just coming home at that hour!!!

So, all in all, I must definitely call this a GOOD day. It's felt so normal, like a regular summer Saturday. I actually allowed myself yesterday to fantasize about getting GOOD news from the doctor this week. Things are looking up.

I just can't get over what a difference the past couple of weeks have made for Al. He's physically feeling better -- though he realizes he has no stamina and has a long recovery ahead -- and he's eating more (still supplementing with Boost/Ensure several times a day), but he just LOOKS so much better. Except his beard -- the part under his chin hasn't grown back in yet, and this looks weird to me! He's gotten a bit of a tan, and looks pretty normal -- albeit 43 pounds lighter than this time last summer. Feeling better and being able to DO a few things has also lifted his spirits a great deal, and though we talk about being tense for Monday, you'd never see it in him today.

Guarded optimism, right???

Well, please continue to keep Al in your hearts for good news on Monday (we probably really won't KNOW anything then), and a clean slate when we return to Dr. Beck Thursday afternoon. You'll hear from me again as soon as I know anything.

Off to bed.
xoxoxo
Sharon